Thursday, March 20, 2014

Make & Listen Along

~ On Thursdays I will post what I have been making and listening to as creations grow. 
If so inclined post, on your blog or flickr, about what you have been making (on your own or with little hands by your side) and listening to while you create. It can be new music, flash backs, a song or a whole album... whatever you like. You can be stitching with needle & thread, yarn, paper crafting, painting, cooking... and beyond. Share what you are making and the tunes that are fueling your creativity. Then come back to my Thursday Make & Listen Along post and leave a link in the comments so we can be inspired right along with you! ~


While there have been lots of lists being made of things I want, and things I want to make, for this little house of ours, I have been mostly just making up house lately. Making it livable, practical, and well, ours.

There are a few spaces that are quickly becoming favorites in this home, and the kitchen is fast becoming one of them. It is amazing and really fun to cook in, eat in, and just generally live in.

The other morning, while waiting for breakfast to cook up on the stovetop, I took a few shots to give a little photo tour of the backdoor entry & kitchen:


We need some hooks in here for hanging up jackets and things but the little shelves have worked awesome for shoes. The washer and dryer are hiding in that cabinet on the left there... perfect for muddy things to head right into the wash!




I love the light that comes in from the big window and the view of the bay is wonderful (the same view we see from the big window in the living room).



The little planter is waiting for paper whites that never got planted (soon) and a twig study of trees in the yard has already begun.


Hello from my new kitchen! 

I have never had stainless steel appliances or a glass stovetop like this one. Any tips for cleaning are most welcome!

As for the listening...

The little man and I have been listening to The Hobbit before bed each night. He is loving it!

I downloaded it for the road trip but sister did not want to listen. After she heard us listening in his room each night she got hooked and pulled the book from the shelf to read ahead. She finished it in two days! (Yes, the girl who claimed she just could not read a chapter book that big!) Now she is ready for Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Finally!


Your turn.
Please share what you have been making and the tunes on your playlist. And don't forget to leave a link to your post if you played along so others can visit your Make and Listen posts. 

I have been trying to get around to visit your posts each week (sometimes it takes me a few days) and they are wonderful! Thanks, to all of you who are joining in and linking up!


23 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful space Dawn, and it looks like you are well settled in. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is sooo lovely! Perhaps better than the first place do you think? It is so bright and welcoming and I love the back mud room - that is the room I want in our next house if we ever move.

    I can't believe we may miss seeing you and your new house today. Darn colds have bad bad timing! ;(

    Well, at least we can see it online for now. We will be bringing some things that love the sun when we finally do see you and I see you have a bit of room on the ledge in the back entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love! Love! The succulents, Tam! Fionna was looking them all up the next day!

      Delete
  3. I love the glimpse of you in the microwave! And you have gotten so much done--your home looks lovely. Welcome Home!

    We have a flat-top stove. They sell special cream-type cleaner--I think you can find a more natural type too--that's meant not to scratch the surface. If I recall correctly I maybe did that the first year I owned the stove and now I just swipe it with the sponge. (You will *never* see a picture of my stove top online, in other words!!)

    Here's my post for this week: http://amyhoodarts.com/2014/03/20/making-listening72014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the stove tips, Amy! LOL pictures of your stove top!
      Thanks for joining in!

      Delete
  4. I can vouch that you can use non scratch bon ami and stuff like that on the cooktop. It's nearly impossible to scratch- However please read about canning on a ceramic top-I think it's a big no no. I sprinkle bon ami and go at it with a scrubbie and let it sit then wipe wipe wipe and then clean with dish soap..

    You have a beautiful kitchen!! Lovely bright and homey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank you for mentioning canning. Eeek! I asked my old neighbor about it after you mentioned it and she said her brother does on his but it is pretty ugly now! No. No. ;-(

      Delete
  5. that is great about F and The Hobbit. heehee :)

    your new place looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori!
      She is hook on chapter books now! Yay!

      Delete
  6. The new place looks fantastic! Very cheerful!

    I have had those cooktops for years and I just scrub them with the green side of my sponge. If stuff is really baked on, I spray it and scrub it while the burners are still warm. If you keep swiping at it with a wet cloth, the stuff will steam off eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think my comment took earlier today...
    Your views sound lovely. The stainless steel appliances aren't my friend, we never had any until we moved into our current house. They wouldn't be my choice ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex.
      They are pretty to look at but no so sure about how practical they are for family life!

      Delete
  8. I bet the best part is that the floor is not slanted! :) It looks really lovely Dawn! As for making holy crow, last night I made a skirt and two coaster sets. I recently made two dress for the girls and some placemats for tables. My fingers are so dry from handling so much fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL the slanted floor! Geesh! ;-)
      Awesome making over there, KC!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely peek into your new home! It already looks like you guys are settled in nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Summer. Yes, almost completely settled in. Just a few little details here and there.

      Delete
  10. I linked up to you my own version and Make+Listen this week!

    And I love the kitchen. So cheerful and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the light.
    the twigs..... maple? birch? beech/alder?
    also- did you receive your swap package my dear?
    xo from NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, You are good!! You got all of the twigs right on! The maple is starting to open now, the birch is close behind, alder still holding out! ;-)
      And yes! My in-laws brought the swap package up from Maine this last weekend. I need to shoot you off an email. Soon! xx

      Delete
    2. oh yay! I took (and eventually was an undergrad TA for) dendrology classes in college and so I'm a bit of a nerd in that department, but rarely use that knowledge anymore... so I saw the ones on your table and did my best! so glad you got your package all safe and sound with the move and all~ hope all is well. xo

      Delete